Interior Consulting Group, LLC

Get answers to your decorating/home staging questions...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Interior Design Consultations: What to Expect

WHAT TO EXPECT IN A TYPICAL DESIGN CONSULTATION
1. Call in advance. While I do my best to fit consultations in as early as my schedule allows, typically it is 1-2 weeks from the time of your call. So to avoid disappointment, give yourself time to spare.

2. Be prepared. I arrive at a consultation ready with a paint deck, paper, marker set, ruler, tape measure and iPad to show you examples of furniture, window treatments, etc. on-line, on the spot, to aid in our discussion. You can maximize your time with me by having a list of questions and/or images and measurements of furniture pieces you want to incorporate if they are not already in the room. The more you have ready for me, the more you’ll get out of the design consult. I also encourage you to take notes.

3. Focus on only a few areas. While I inevitably end up walking around the entire house during a consultation to give general tips on window treatments, lighting fixtures, paint colors etc., I like to try and focus on a primary area or areas that we can build on. For me, this means we work out the furniture layout, window treatments, paint colors, lighting fixtures, potential art and accessory placement for one room in totality and I sketch it for you to keep. The sketch is obviously rough and done on the spot, but it will give you a general sense of how I picture a completed room.

4. Maximize your time. While I am in your home, you can maximize your time by being prepared (see point #2) and by silencing your communication devices. Schedule your consult when you know your home will be relatively quiet without distraction, and at a time of day when you know you can focus on all the great things we’re going to talk about to make your home spectacular.Your consultation will last approximately one hour.


WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
There are essentially 2 ways I typically work with clients in my interior design business. The first is full service project management, where I design, implement and oversee the transformation of a renovation or decoration project. Most of the clients I work with want the luxury of hiring a professional who can essentially say- “trust me to handle this”- and then they step back and we do just that. It’s a great partnership of trust and spectacular results can occur when this trust is there. Design fees for this kind of engagement is typically project based - determined by the scope of your project.

The second way I work with clients is by design consulting - by the hour. Consulting services are perfect for: a) people who can take a plan and run with it; b) people who have ideas but could use the help of a designer to pull it all together; c) people who have the funds allocated to purchase home decor items but not to hire a designer in a full service capacity; or d) projects that are ongoing in nature. The fee structure for this kind of service is based on an hourly rate.


CANCELLATION POLICY:

Should you need to reschedule your appointment for any reason, please notify me as soon as possible. Our cancellation policy requires that you give at least 24 hours notice. We reserve the right to deny future appointments if proper notice of cancellation is not given.


Visit our website:   www.interiorcg.com
LIKE us on Facebook:   www.facebook.com/interiorcg

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, this article is very inspiring and increases knowledge

    I hope the writer and the team will be more successful
    Allow me to give also information about desain interior

    ReplyDelete